Los Angeles DUI Defense: Sobriety CheckpointsOur Los Angeles DUI Defense firm has extensive experience litigating DUI cases, including arrests following a stop at a sobriety checkpoint.
Sobriety checkpoints are designed by law enforcement to minimize drunk driving on Southern California roadways. Since their inception, sobriety checkpoints have been controversial because they infringe upon constitutional guarantees of 4th Amendment’s protection against unreasonable searches and seizures. In 1990, the Supreme Court approved the use of sobriety checkpoints as long as they met specific guidelines such as:
- Notice to the public about the checkpoint
- There must be an option to turn around before proceeding through the checkpoint if people desire to do so. Additionally, the decision to turn around must not be a reason to stopped and checked for DUI.
- There must be a random and impartial formula for stopping cars (such as every 4th car, etc.)
- The checkpoint must observe all safety laws and regulations
- The checkpoint must be short and least intrusive
- The location and time of day must be reasonable, as to not "cherry-pick" drivers coming out nightclubs, etc.
If you have been arrested and charged with a DUI after being checked at a sobriety checkpoint, you need the immediate help of a knowledgeable DUI defense attorney. With an attorney familiar with all of the laws and regulations regarding DUI in Southern California you can be confident that you will get the best defense. At Eisner Gorin LLP, our attorneys will aggressively defend your case and seek reduction or dismissal of DUI charges you are facing. Our Los Angeles DUI Defense Law Firm has the experience to successfully defend you.